Reality Check

“‘He must become greater; I must become less.’” John 3:30 NIV
When I read through chapter 3 of John, this verse stuck with me. I wish we all had John the Baptist’s attitude concerning God. But, not just his. When I read about the Samaritans in chapter 4, verse 40 stuck out and God showed me why He’d signaled John 3:30 earlier.
      I had been praying for people (including myself) to be more passionate about God. It was a burden God placed on my heart.
      In John 4:40, the Samaritans urge Jesus to stay with them. In other places in the gospels, we see more examples of people begging Jesus for the same reason, or even to just go with Him. Where is that passion today?
      Many people knew who Jesus was and wanted more of Him. It was almost a desperation. But, today, many of us have to force ourselves to pray and worship. Why is that? Why have we forgotten the value of God?
      We should be passionately crying out for and seeking after Him, but instead we treat Him as though He is unworthy of our time; of our presence.    
      We need to change our perception because it’s the other way around. We have to make Him greater and become less in our minds.
      Don’t get it confused. We need Him. We should be crying out to and pursuing Him, but instead we expect Him to do all the work as though we are the ones seated on the throne.
      Take yourself off that pedestal and put Him on it, because He’s the only One that truly belongs there.

Comments

Popular Posts