You're a Millionaire

I have been thinking about finances a lot. My debt isn't huge, but neither is my income. I made a goal to pay off some of my bills (mostly different school loans) and pay for the next school year by the end of this one. As I was thinking through how I would do that I kept wondering if I should cut back on my ministry giving. It seemed sensible at that moment. How could I give toward ministry projects if I wasn't paying off what I already owed? I figured that after I paid a good amount of my debt I could go back to giving to different causes.
      Then, He reminded me; I didn't decide to take on these ministry donation commitments on my own.  He had called me to them and confirmed that those amounts were actually from Him. I was forgetting that He is faithful and will continue to provide as I practice my faithfulness.
      My heart has always been for the world and helping people, so it didn't really bother me that He told me to keep giving abundantly. Still, that's difficult when money is tight. I found myself thinking, if I just had $10,000..., or, Lord, if I were a millionaire I would... In my mind I started listing out the different ways I would further help people and the things I would do to start my own organizations. I'd take care of my bills (student loans) and then be freed up to give even more.
      As I was doing that, God had me check a currency converter to plug in the amount of money I have in comparison to others. It turns out I'd have 18,000 Ethiopian birrs if I converted what I have to that currency (the girl I sponsor lives in Ethiopia and that's why I started off with checking that currency). I already had over 10,000. I felt humbled but God wanted me to keep going. I compared what I have in American dollars to all the other currencies on the site and found out that I'm a millionaire in 22 other countries. Most of the conversions ran over a million dollars (the highest was 20 million).
      I cried. All this time I kept asking for a million or just 10,000 and I already had beyond that. I am rich. I have so much more than others and it is almost sickening that I'd think I do not have a lot. Many people (families) in the world live on less than $2 a day.
      I have a picture with this quote on my phone that says, "Remember: Someone is happy with less than you have." As I was sitting there just in awe of God, someone that I follow on Twitter posted that quote up. It was all the confirmation I needed to keep going with the giving plan God gave to me without worrying about how I would pay for everything else.
      As I thought more about it that night, I felt God say that so many people (including myself) make promises to do more once they're millionaires. Then I felt Him ask, "Now that you're a millionaire, are you going to keep those promises?"
      That question has changed my financial perspective.
      First John 3:17 (NIV) says, "If anyone has material possessions and sees His brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in Him?" 
      It's a rhetorical question. If you walk away knowing that you have what someone else needs without doing anything about it, then you don't have God's love. As the verse before that one says, He sacrificed and laid His life down for us and so now we must do the same for others (1 John 3:16). That's what having His character looks like. The one who stops and does something is the one who loves.
      We can make a list of excuses about why we can't, but often times it is because we are unwilling to cut out the unnecessary and prioritize others that we are unable to give more. Being faithful and giving isn't easy, but He provides and honors the love we show when we stretch ourselves to give.
      Now that you know how much you have in relation to others, I pose this question to you: how will you help your brother or sister (neighbor/others) in need?
Jesus said, "...From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." Luke 12:48 NIV

Comments

  1. I like it!!!! your very right.A lot of us take for granted what we have and if we could open our eyes to what ALL THAT WE HAVE, we would see our lives very differently. Thanks for the added scripture, its a great reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I am commenting back so late. I really thought I had replied when I first saw this.

      Thank you! Yes! I think it is difficult because a lot of times it seems like we do not have enough. Bills get in the way and everything is so expensive so we get caught up in really believing we have little. I have to admit that it is difficult to stay in the mindset that I am a millionaire. I constantly have to make myself globally aware to remind myself of all that I have. It still shocks me sometimes to be reminded of how little people live off of in other countries (and even many people in the US). I've put a little note in my Bible to remind me not to spend what I have so wastefully because I can use that to make a difference in the world. It has helped that I have become responsible for someone that has so little through sponsorship. Being able to keep in contact with the girl I have become responsible over has put a face to everyone I can be helping. I carry her picture everywhere because I love her. It has made it more personal for me to think of people who live with less. How can I spend an extravagant amount of money on something so meaningless, yet leave her in need? It has really changed my perspective to have a face for the commitment I am making to being a better steward.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts