Untouchable

The untouchables were a caste (class) of people in traditional Indian society. The caste has been renamed because it was considered condescending and the people in it are given more constitutional rights than they were allowed before, though, there are still places where the traditional views and treatment of this class of people have been maintained. The untouchables were the lowest class, designated as impure, and isolated. They were only to associate with others of their caste because their touch and even sight was considered dirty/polluting and needing cleansing from. In some places, they had to live a nocturnal life because of this.
      This all sounds intense and outdated, but it still happens today. The status does not merely apply to India or to a certain time period. We can see untouchables everywhere we go. They are the shameful ones. The ones who can only associate with others living their lifestyle because they are rejected everywhere else. They are the ones no one acknowledges or looks at. Maybe, in fact, you are one of them.
       The way that people treat us or the way others talk about us stays with us. We begin to adapt their perception of us to our own self-perception. We start to see ourselves as impure, unlovable, and untouchable. At some point, we give up hope. We adapt to the role. Like the untouchables in some areas, we live life where or when others can't see us. We stop trying to be seen. Eventually, we even begin to fear it.
       We're even this way with God. We don't think we're good enough for Him and that He wouldn't want to look at us. We think that He couldn't or doesn't love us. So, we hide (or at least we think we do). We avoid addressing Him, we stay away from places we think He'll be at, and we try to be invisible to Him. But that is far from what He wants. You are never too dirty or unworthy for God to look at. His heart longs for you. He already knows you and sees you. He made you.
       The Bible says, "O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord....If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" (Psalm 139:1-4, 11-14 NIV).
       You can't hide from God; He sees everything. The beautiful part is, though, you don't have to. He wants you. He loves you. He wants to show you how special you are. You were created for a purpose. Your life has meaning and you have value. If you will just come to Him, He will show you the adoration He has for you. You can be made new, you just have to stop living like you're an untouchable. Get away from the sad life that you think suites you. You are worth more and He will show you that.
        Your life can be different. Let Him into your heart. Stop trying to be unseen and let Him heal the pain that you've pushed under. You weren't meant to be hidden. God puts His treasure on display for all to see. YOU are His treasure. Darkness doesn't suite you anymore.

Comments

Popular Posts