How to Live a Spirit Led Life


I have been reading the book of Acts in my time with God this month. It's been perfect timing because this was one of the hardest months of my internship as a school counselor. I filed a report of physical and sexual abuse that had been disclosed to me by a student. That opened up a world of worry and uncertainty for me. There was so much out of my control and there were times that it got me to a point where I felt nauseous. I cried a lot in this process-for the student, the family, for the state of this generation, and because I wasn't sure I could handle it. I am so thankful that I had my husband (and best friend) to help lift me up during this experience. He spent a lot of time encouraging and praying for me. On top of that, God spent a lot of time comforting, guiding, and teaching me. I never would have gotten through it all without them.
      If it had been up to me, I would have avoided this situation. Being at the end of it all, however, I feel differently about it. I can see how God used this time to mature me. I feel stronger and more confident. I never would have signed up for that trial but it has stretched me in a way that forced me to do what needed to be done, not question myself, and to take hold of my leadership position. It also got me to pray more and to have others pray for me. I learned to be intentional and to make sure I was prayed up before each day of my internship. I learned as well to make sure that I was in tune with the Holy Spirit before I left home.
      While I was seeing the importance in my own life of being connected with the Spirit and having it to guide me, God reinforced the importance of this lesson through my reading of Acts and the example of Paul's life and ministry. Paul traveled to spread the Gospel to those who hadn't heard about Jesus and to the people who wanted more of God. In Pisidian Antioch, Paul and Barnabas preached to a large number of people ("almost the whole city"-Acts 13:44). Verse 49 says, "The word of the Lord spread through the whole region." A great number of Gentiles were praising God because of the message Paul and Barnabas shared, but the Jews were against them. They "stirred up persecution against [them] and had them expelled from their region" (verse 50).
      I thought about how the adversity in itself may have stifled my witness. Unlike Paul, I imagine that I would have been afraid to share the Gospel as openly as before. I would not have been as readily brave. Paul and Barnabas would not let the adversity stop them though. They moved on to Iconium to preach and people were saved, but again, some people joined together to plot against them and planned to stone them (Acts 14:5). 
      This is far more intense than being kicked out of a city. They planned to harm the men. If I knew there was a threat of physical danger, I hope I wouldn't just run, but realistically, I know I would struggle with wanting to go as far away from the danger as possible. I would have sought comfort. That wasn't how these men responded though.
      When Paul and Barnabas found out about the plan to harm them, they moved on to Lystra. A crowd witnessed them perform a miracle (healing a crippled man-Acts 14:10) and believed their gods had come down to them in human form (verse 11). The people wanted to offer them sacrifices but Paul and Barnabas worked against it, telling them they were not gods. The crowd was then won over by Jews from Antioch and Iconium (the places Paul and Barnabas left). The Jews got the people to turn against and stone Paul. Then, they dragged him outside the city because they thought he was dead (verse 19). But that wasn't the end. Acts 14:20 says, "But after the disciples had gathered around [Paul], he got up and went back into the city." 
      I know without a doubt that after being attacked, I wouldn't have gone back. They thought he was dead! That means they roughed him up very badly. Paul would not be deterred though. He went back and then the next day moved on to Derbe where he continued to preach. That is what a Spirit led life looks like. No matter what adversity (no matter how personal or damaging) you face, you stay where God has you because He hasn't called you out of that place yet. That is how you become courageous. You build up your bravery by staying where the danger and hardship lie.
      How do we do that when our instinct is to run, though? It's hard enough to stay standing, but to actually walk back in the direction of difficulties...now, that's rough. I thought about what God was trying to teach me through these sections of Scripture for a week. Finally, I got an answer. I believe there are three keys to staying where God has called us and to living Spirit led lives.
      First, notice that Paul had an encourager with him for the journey (Barnabas' name was Joseph, but the apostles called him Barnabas, meaning Son of Encouragement-Acts 4:36). When things get rough, well meaning people may steer us in a direction of safety. The problem is that may not be the direction God wants you to go. God doesn't want life to be easy for you. God wants you to reach the people He has planned for you to reach. That often means going where others won't and staying when others flee. That is how you show people something different than they've seen before and when they truly listen to what you have to say about God. Instead of people who encourage you to flee, you need to be around people who will spur you on in the midst of hardships (like my husband did for me during this painful experience). Someone who will carry your exhaustion with you and speak life into you when you are ready to give in. This is the person who will remind you of who God is and what He has said so that you continue to move in the direction the Spirit is leading you to go.
      Second, notice that Paul knew his purpose. When Paul had his first encounter with Jesus, God told Ananias to go to him. Ananias was afraid because Paul had persecuted Christians, but the Lord said to him, "This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel" (Acts 9:15). Later, in Acts 20:24, Paul confirmed that he knew his purpose when he told the elders of Ephesus, "I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Paul knew he was called to spread the Gospel and that is exactly what he did. It is what he lived for and so in the midst of his struggle, there was no other alternative for him. He didn't have a backup plan because he held on to God's plan. When we create back up plans, we have one foot out the door already. We may not acknowledge or be aware of it, but we are saying that there is only so much we are going to take before we ditch God's plan and leading and settle for our own. It's not wrong to be prepared or smart about things, but when you set up a place outside the direction God is leading you, then you are living a life apart from God's will for you.
      Third, notice that Paul devoted himself to God. We tell people to have faith in God, but it goes deeper than that. You can't just trust God, you have to belong to God. When you do, life changes. You don't just trust Him to direct your steps, you let Him orchestrate them. You allow them to be planned by Him, you allow yourself to be used by Him, and you allow your purpose to be fleshed out by Him. When God truly holds your life in His hands, there is a freedom that comes with it. It's not the way unbelievers have made it sound: restricting, stifling, or like being imprisoned. It is you being able to walk in confidence because you know that what you do has divine purpose and backing. You know that no matter what comes against you, God has planned for a victory and that is what will happen. You aren't just a puppet, you are God's child (Romans 8:16). He won't misuse or abuse you. He has a greater plan for your life than you can concoct but that requires you to surrender to Him and to follow His lead.
      In order to lead a Spirit led life we need to choose to be led by the Spirit rather than our emotions, rationale, or what others say. It can be difficult because there are going to be trials and hardships as we move against the tide of the world's culture. That can seem too difficult at times, but remember the three keys to remaining steadfast in the Spirit. They are to (1) surround yourself by people who will encourage you to continue in the direction God is leading you in and who will remind you of what He has promised, to (2) know your purpose so that it can guide your steps and remind you of what you were made for during times of uncertainty, and to (3) be devoted to God to the point that your life truly belongs to Him and He has the ultimate say of what you do and where you go. 
      When you live Spirit led, you will see yourself begin to change, as I have (believe me, when I was first handling the case with the student, there were plenty of times when I wanted to run, avoid the problem, and let someone else deal with it). You will become bolder, more confident and ready to stand up for what you believe in, and you will walk in His power. You don't build up bravery by running. It may hurt now, but this will all mature you into being a force worth reckoning with.

Comments

Popular Posts