Spiritual Dehydration

This week I kept feeling bouts of nausea and dizziness. I was worried because it lasted a few days and so I thought something may be wrong with me. After another day of this my husband dragged me to the doctor to see what was going on. Fortunately, it was nothing that could not be taken care of. It turns out I was feeling the effects of dehydration. This confused me at first because I am constantly drinking water, but then I realized that I had been more active at the beginning of this week, and then later this week I became so busy that I wasn't drinking as much water as usual. Those two factors led to my body feeling these effects on and off for days.
       To be honest, when the doctor said that my symptoms were the result of dehydration, I felt embarrassed. It was something I could have avoided so easily. The nervousness I experienced as these symptoms I had came in waves, the concern of my husband, and the time spent just waiting for an answer could have all been avoided if I just remembered to remain hydrated. It's the same with our spiritual lives.
      If we don't take in what we need at the level of what we're putting out or if we short change our time with God because we're too busy, we will become spiritually dehydrated. It occurs when we spiritually give more out than we've taken in. It can look different ways. Maybe you are working your faith muscles harder than usual but are still spending time with God in the same way you normally do. This is not going to be enough to sustain you. Or, maybe you've become so busy that you aren't spending time with God, or you are spending less time in His word and in His presence. When we don't spend enough time with Him, we will feel the effects of spiritual dehydration just as I felt the effects of physical dehydration.
      We can experience dizziness in our daily lives. Our foundation (the ground we stand on) begins to move beneath us. We no longer feel like we have a solid grasp of God's word or His heart on a matter. What the world says or how we feel about a subject is swaying us to the point that we feel unsteady. It can be confusing and disorienting because not only are we having a hard time walking with God, but we're having a hard time standing with Him.
      While dizziness can look similar across situations, nausea does not. It may be that you feel sick of trying, of His word, of seeking Him, or of the church. Maybe you're sick of yourself or your struggle. It may feel so strong that it immobilizes or slows you. It feels so terrible that all you can do is lay or sit still wondering why you are feeling this way. Or you are afraid to push yourself because you feel the symptoms of nausea coming on and you are not sure if you will be able to withstand what you are supposed to do, where you are supposed to go, or what you are going through.
      You may feel weak and sluggish. You don't know how much more you can give. You feel spent. I've felt that way a number of times. I felt like I had nothing more to give and so I felt like I was doing ministry dry. This is a dangerous symptom of spiritual dehydration because it can cause us to become self-absorbed and can lead us to resent those God has called us to minister to. It is a natural reaction when people are asking for more from you yet you already feel like you've given them your all and now you are in need. Though it is understandable, do not let it be an excuse for these emotions to go unchecked.
      Dehydration is not something to take lightly. It can be deadly if left unchecked. I'm glad my husband dragged me to the doctor when he did because it put my symptoms into perspective and quieted all those fearful questions I had. Spiritual dehydration comes with it's own set of questions: Is God worth it? Was I really saved to begin with or have I just been going through the motions and fooled myself and others in the process? Can I ever get out of this? Where is God? Is He angry at me? If He loved me, why would He leave me here?
     If you are feeling dry (like you need more of and from God), go to Him. Jesus said, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him" (John 7:37-38). The next verse (39) clarifies that Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would teach us and remind us of all that God has spoken (John 14:26). When we go to God, we can live in tune with the Spirit and, thus, make decisions that honor God.
      I know it is exhausting when you feel dry, but keep pressing in. Because your body is lacking so much, what you initially take in might not seem effective. It may seem pointless. That's how I felt physically. When I drank water, it didn't seem to have an effect at first. In fact, I felt even thirstier. I needed more. But, once I got the amount I needed, I felt better. I haven't felt the nausea or dizziness since then. Spiritually, you need to fill what was missing. It can be discouraging when it doesn't seem to fill your need but don't let yourself be fooled by the lies that God won't show up. He will show up when you come to Him.
      Make sure to keep spiritually hydrated so that you are able to withstand whatever comes your way. It is easier to stand in the face of hardships or uncertainties when we are filled than it is when we are running on empty. Spend time with Him, read your Bible, praise Him, pray for yourself and others. All these things will help keep you feeling spiritually refreshed and ready to go whenever and where ever He calls.

Comments

Popular Posts