In Love with the Bible

(This month's VOM newsletter, a VOM picture of the Gospel being distributed in Colombia, my Bible, a bookmark of Romans 8:37 in Chinese, and a booklet of verses in Korean and English) 
 
My heart is to reach the world and to spread the message about our salvation through Jesus Christ (it is why I love seeing Scripture in other languages). I am obsessed with stories of what God is doing in other countries and so I've been waiting for this month's Voice of the Martyrs newsletter impatiently. It is a monthly publication that highlights the stories of Christians who are persecuted for their faith and the organization's work to reach people in countries that are hostile to or restrict Christianity. The newsletter arrived yesterday. The theme this month is "a Bible for every believer".
      Last year, God wrecked me while reading the newsletter devoted to the same theme for 2014. As I looked at the way the people photographed treasured and adored their newly obtained Bibles and read stories about how much having the Word of God meant to them, I began to love my Bible more deeply. I never want to take the Word for granted because it is precious. In some places owning a Bible is illegal. I've read about towns and villages where believers have to wait years just to have a Bible. There are countries where you can't just find a Bible in your local bookstore or grocery store. I learned in this month's issue that in some places it is too expensive for most people to even buy a Bible. Christians who live in any of these places truly value God's Word.
      These facts make me think about all that I am blessed with in possessing a Bible. During hard times when I've forgotten what He's said about different subjects I can easily open my Bible and search for the answer. When I forget that I don't have to work for God's love, He reminds me through His Word. Whenever I need to be reminded that Jesus already paid the price for my sin I am faced with that truth. The Word also works in me when I need to be corrected and refined. It is the support, encouragement, and nourishment that I need.
      As I read Psalm 119: 9-16 (NIV), it echoed the heart of those I read about and it has become my prayer for myself: "How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." We need the Bible to sustain us during our personal and lonely struggles. It is what helps us to navigate through compromised Christian teachings and political systems that do not honor our God. Don't take your Bible for granted. It empowers us and keeps us in tune with God's heart. It is how we can come to live a life that honors and pleases God.
      Don't let the easy availability of the Bible keep you from seeing its value. We possess the Word of God! It is His message to His people. It isn't just a book of stories. God uses the Bible to speak to us and bring us clarity. He reveals Himself through it. That is what makes your Bible a treasure. Those who don't have it and those who have to fight to have it, see it. It's time for us to wake up and see it as well.

Comments

Popular Posts