Leaving Room for the Holy Spirit as Professionals

In Leviticus 13:1-46, God lays out the regulations in diagnosing and dealing with infectious skin diseases. I was surprised because He was laying it out for the priests to be able to handle. Here are these men with presumably no background in medical work that God was equipping to deal with skin diseases. It reminded me of what God had spoken to me about counseling.
      Towards the end of my masters program, I began to feel anxious about being a counselor. There are so many issues out there that I was not sure I was be equipped to handle because I had no experience with them or didn't know enough about them. During a talk with one of my Christian counselor friends, God calmed my anxious heart. My friend talked about how there are so many times she prays to herself during a session because she doesn't know what to say in terms of what her client is disclosing. She said that the Holy Spirit shows up every time and tells her the words her clients need to hear.
      I'm not saying to be unethical and work with cases you are totally unequipped to deal with, but there are certain situations and issues we have enough knowledge to face and deal with with God's help. We need to let the Holy Spirit guide our practice. Who knows the body, mind, or heart better than God, Who created us? Jeremiah 10:12 (NIV) says, "But God made the earth by His power; He founded the world by His wisdom and stretched out the heavens by His understanding." He didn't just make the world haphazardly. It truly is all a result of intelligent design. He knows the system each one of His creations work by (and only He fully understands them). 
      Rather than separating God from our professions, we need to seek Him and His guidance in them. We shouldn't stop working to be more competent, but we can't let our competence stop us from seeking the move and leading of the Holy Spirit.

Comments

Popular Posts