I Love the Bible


I have said it before, but it is worth repeating: I love the Bible! I read a bit of it every day and God always uses it to speak to my situation and answer my questions. When I am feeling insecure or uncertain, I can turn to the Bible and find truth. It is so precious to me because it is how I've gotten to know God more, He has used it to speak to me, and it helps me to live a life He'd be proud of.
      When I hear that people don't have access to it, it breaks my heart because it has been so powerful in my life. I have such a passion to provide people around the world with Bibles. There are places where a Bible is too expensive for a believer to afford or where there is no translation of it available in the person's language. I've read about Christians around the world who share a Bible or who swap portions of it with each other because of the difficulty (or danger) in obtaining one.
      It hurts me even more when I hear that Christians who DO have access to the Bible don't make reading it a priority. It is vital to our walk. In a world where Scripture gets twisted or people are making false claims about who God is, it is important for us to be able to know the truth for ourselves. It's not a coincidence that the longest Psalm and chapter in the Bible (Psalm 119) is dedicated to a desire to know and obey God's laws, commands, and decrees (His Word!) and to the author's love for them.
      I love the way the authors/editors of the She Reads Truth Bible describes the message and purpose of the book of Psalms: "...This record of the responses of God's people in worship and prayer serves the purpose of teaching us how to relate to God in various circumstances of life. The Psalms also demonstrate God's sovereignty and goodness to His people in order to instill confidence in those who trust in Him" (page 831). If this book of the Bible is specifically meant to show us how to relate to God, then we cannot dismiss the importance that His Word should hold in our lives when looking at this Psalm.
      In Psalm 119:9-16 (NIV) the author says, "How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”
     The author is passionate about God's Word, but desires to have even greater zeal for it. This person has dedicated his life to knowing God's Word and living according to it. All this isn't out of obligation, though; it is so he does not sin against God, whom he loves.
      Reading the Bible shouldn't be a chore. It helps us to live in a way that aligns with how God calls us to behave as Christians. It shows us how to love God. Often times our walk can be one sided and selfish. We want God to show us how much He loves us, but in that focus, can forget that God wants us to show Him how much we love Him as well. The Bible tells us how to do that. It tells us what makes Him happy. We can get to know the character and voice of God so intimately by spending consistent time in His Word and seeking Him.
      My challenge to you is to be consistent in reading the Bible and seeking God with all your heart. Life will become clearer (not perfect or easier, per se, but you'll have more clarity on the things worth pursuing and what our time on earth was meant to look like). You will find that as you apply the wisdom and truth to your life, just like the author of Psalm 119, you will delight in His Word because it will bring you closer to Him.

Comments

Popular Posts