True Strength




When we think of strength, we sometimes think of conquering. It's power, confidence, etc. At least, that's how I tend to view strength. 
      What does strength look like for you? When you ask God for strength, what are you expecting?
      When I pray for strength, I am asking that God would make me bold, give me a strong resolve, and bring me a sense of comfort by knowing He is with me. Honestly, though, I don't plan on it looking the way it did for Jesus in the garden before being arrested and crucified. Nothing in His situation nor posture looks like strength in a worldly sense.
      In Luke 22:41-44 (NIV) it says, "He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 'Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.' An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.” I read this verse recently and was struck by the fact that an angel came and strengthened Jesus, but even after that He was still in so much anguish He sweated blood as He prayed.
      All the things I expect to receive when praying for strength were there. Jesus was bold enough to go through with the plan for our salvation despite His fear. He had a strong resolve because He could have run from or fought what was about to happen but was set on being obedient to the Father. He also knew that God was with Him. When I realized that all these aspects were there, it shook me because I've imagined looking strong when strengthened not weak. It meant I had to change my view of strength.
      I've had to ask myself what it really means to be strong. I constantly imagine running into the battlefield all while shouting my battle cry. Sometimes that's the case, however, most times I am crawling in hoping to be sent back home to comfort and safety. It's pathetic, really. In fact, one of my prayers and desires has been to be stronger, but when looking at this verse I realize that I am strong. It's a bit comforting, but mostly I'm disappointed by it because I want to be the confident conquerer. I don't want to be the snivelling soldier because that's not how I view warriors (to be clear, that's not how I view Jesus).
      True strength is fighting when all you want to do is run. It is wholeheartedly giving yourself over to God's plan and trusting Him. It's going to take some getting used to, but I'm going to start changing my view of strength so that I can see the ways God is answering my prayers. 
      How does your view of strength align with the way Jesus was strengthened by the angel? How would refining your view of strength affect you?
      I'm sure that when you begin to look at strength in the way it is represented in this Scripture, you will see that God has answered more of your prayers than you thought He had.

Comments

Popular Posts