I’m for Him

“Know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself…” Psalm 4:3a NIV
I am a romantic. I’m sure this will be a strength in the future (and, now that I think about it, it is a strength in my walk with God now), but while I am single it has served as a weakness because I find it a struggle not to lose focus on God. At times I long for a relationship. The true, beautiful, and faithful kind.
      The thought that there is one person out there for me; that God has him picked out and has written an amazing love story for us brings color to my cheeks and brings out my goofy shy smile.
      I dream of how committed and strong he is. An amazing leader who acts with love and wisdom because he is connected so strongly to God and has a true relationship with Him. He is not like others; he is different from the men who fall short-the ones who are without heart. He is the one who with just the thought that his love (the special, unifying, romantic kind) is meant to be shared with only me makes him feel as euphoric as it makes me.
     <3
God often reminds me that I have that in Him. I blush and get that goofy smile as He tells me that I was made to love Him and be loved by Him. That is my purpose, just to be alive in that love. That is the most beautiful story I can imagine.
      I mean, this is something I’ve dreamt of: that the love me and my partner share for each other will be something so precious and pure that we’ll just want to bask in it. I’ll never have that the way I can with God. The responsibilities that me and my partner will have and the limitations of our human hearts will get in the way of my earthly marriage, but not in my heavenly one.
      I look forward to my eternity with Him. Being romanced for the rest of my life and adoring Him in return.
      This whole journey, being pure and set apart isn’t for the man I will have, but for the One I already have. The One who already fulfills the desires I dream of in my partner. This is the love story I’ve longed for; the most perfect one I can live: mine and His.
      I love that He is unwilling to share the extent to which I am His. He is unwilling to share this ultimate intimacy with even the man He will one day send my way. He set me apart for Himself. He gave me this longing for pure romance because He knew that I would forever draw closer to Him to see it fulfilled.
      No person can complete that longing, and it would be painful (for both me and my partner) and wrong to seek one who does or place that expectation on the man who comes into my life.
      So, new focus! I will bask in the perfect romance I already have instead of letting myself unrealistically dream of an earthly romance that meets that perfection. Yes, the love story God has written for me and my future husband will be beautiful, but why would I set my focus on one with limits rather than the love I receive from God that knows no bounds? Why would I work to move myself away from worldly standards for my future (naturally) flawed man when I should be working to do this to continue to keep my side of the relationship pure with my perfect Love?

Comments

Popular Posts