Snip Snip

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is-his good, pleasing, and perfect will.” Romans 12:2 NIV
This year God has put being set apart on my heart. It is pretty intense. The things I used to say, the movies I used to watch, and the thoughts I used to think…yeah, those have to go. God wants us to set our lives apart as offerings for Him. No blending in with the world. We are now the property of Heaven-the children of God.
      I have to guard my identity as such by keeping away from the world and its standards (or lack of). This week I was speaking to my friend Lexi about how I really felt like God wanted me to delete the secular music on my iPod. I finally got working on that today and man was that hard. I kept wrestling with God. “But those are classics.” “Ah! But I like that song.” “My iPod will have nothing if I delete all that.”
      Excuses.
      I worked to avoid certain artists in the list thinking that if I didn’t see them it would be okay. But God kept bringing them to mind as I deleted the more comfortable ones. I found myself begging, “Not that one, please! Let me just keep that one.”
      God responded calmly, “So they’re more important to you than me?”
      Nope. As I deleted the ones I had been avoiding, I nearly cried (sad, I know). It’s crazy what a strong hold the world has on me. I never really realized it.
      Over 150 artists and 2,500 songs later, I know that I still have a lot to get rid of. But, I also know that I have made another step to set myself apart and it makes me feel lighter.
      As I looked through and deleted the songs, I realized how they affected my pattern of thinking and only helped to reinforce the world’s beliefs. They kept my mind on the things of the world and kept me from moving forward with God.
      I want so much to begin living God’s will for my life and to start moving toward the future He’s planned out for me, but in order to do that I need to cut away all that is holding me back.
      We need to let go of the ties the world has on us in order to move freely in His direction.
      No more distractions.

Comments

Popular Posts