From Weakness to Strength

I admire people who suffer and go through horrific experiences, but still have such a strong faith in God. I make it a point to read their stories in order to spur me on and to humble me. One of the people I am inspired by is Betsy ten Boom (sister of Corrie ten Boom). She was able to increase her faith in God while experiencing the horrors of the Nazi concentration camps. She experienced fear, loss, cruelty, starvation, sickness, and so much more, but continued to point people to God. I have read stories of persecuted Christians who were tortured and watched loved ones be killed, yet they consider suffering for Christ a privilege. That kind of resilient faith is beautiful, but confusing.
      It is irrational to consider suffering a privilege. It doesn't make sense to rejoice because you have been mistreated. How can people experience such cruelty and hardship but still trust God (or even believe in Him)? In fact, how can they come out from these experiences loving Him even more and having greater faith?
      In 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, Paul shares that he had a thorn in his flesh that tormented him. This was not a literal thorn, but a figurative one. Something in Paul's life was causing him a great deal of torment, yet when he asked God to remove it, God refused. In verses 9-10 (NIV), he writes, "But [the Lord] said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
      When we are aware of our weaknesses, we are aware of our limits. We are less likely to get in God's way with our prideful demonstrations and are more likely to step aside to allow Him to do what only He can. This is a lesson I am learning a lot in this season of my life. I mentioned a few posts back that I have a disease called endometriosis. I feel weak and fatigued often. (I want to clarify that I don't put this on the same level of suffering as the stories I mentioned at the beginning of this post about torture, persecution, etc; nevertheless, this is my experience with suffering.) I am very aware of what I can no longer do. At first, I tried to fight it. I tried doing things I could not and kept burning myself out. Now, however, I am getting used to my weakness and getting to know it more. This has allowed me to grow in my walk with God because I know where I end and He begins.
      I am forced to rely on God more. I know that I cannot accomplish much on my own. I am constantly relying on Him to provide me with the strength, energy, and guidance that I need. It is freeing because it helps dispel the shame in my weakness. Instead of beating myself up for it, I allow it to draw me closer to Him. This has helped me have more faith. In order to continue going in the direction God has called me and to do the things He has planned for me, I need more of His power. I am very aware of the Holy Spirit as my strength. I know this is why Paul said that when he is weak, he is strong.
      Be encouraged that weakness doesn't have to be the end of your story; it can be the beginning of a more beautiful relationship with God. This time of suffering can produce a more resilient faith if you allow God to show you more of Himself through it. Rather than feeling less loved by God during this time, I am more aware of how much He loves me because I see more of His hand in my life and am continually aware of His presence. Suffering brings about losses, but it can also enrich us. Allow this season of your life to let God show you more of Himself. You are not alone.

Comments

Popular Posts