Day 4 in England: Mind Your Business

Two days ago, the whole team was at Hodge House in Nelson. There I mainly helped out with the crèche (preschoolers). There were only a few kids there, but I stayed inside to play with them. I felt a bit annoyed at one point because the kids were playing on their own and it seemed like they weren't being paid attention to. That is a pet peeve I have with preschool and kindergarten ministries sometimes. It can easily get treated as a daycare where the kids are left to play by themselves until the stories get started. I had a heart early on to really interact with and build friendships with kids because they, like adults and teens, are more likely to listen to and believe what you tell them about God as you grow closer to them. Plus, I realized that they also have complex family problems/issues that they need help sorting out and trying to understand. Unfortunately, they often get the short end of it all because people think they are "just kids"-carefree and problem free.
      I was annoyed about the perceived lack of focus on our mission and reason for holding this event for a good amount of time, but kept going on with doing my part. I didn't understand until the end of the day's activities that the other volunteers were indeed being intentional about what they were doing. Most of the parents stayed with the kids. I'd assumed that they were all from the church, but I later found out that most weren't and so the volunteers had spent the time connecting with them. The focus was on building relationships with the family and they were doing that.
      I felt terrible for spending the amount of time I did being upset about something that wasn't true. As I thought about it I was reminded that I don't always understand the full story because things aren't always as they appear. I need to make sure I mind my business and focus on what I've been called to do rather than looking at what others have been charged with and scrutinizing their performance.
      In John 21:20-22 (NIV), the Bible says,"Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them....When Peter saw him, he asked, 'Lord, what about him?' Jesus answered, 'If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.'"
      When we look at other people and what they are doing or not doing/experiencing, we can grow jealous or upset. We can't understand why we have to go through something the other doesn't. We especially don't want to work, sacrifice, or suffer when it seems the other person does not have to. We act like children with God. If kids feel they are being treated unfairly, they will follow the person they are jealous of around and point out all the things that person is allowed to do that they can't. That's why Jesus tells Peter that he must follow Him.
      God doesn't want us to get distracted by someone else's calling or experiences. We can easily stop listening to His commands because we are too busy (spiritually) shouting about what someone else is doing. We are in danger of wandering off the path the Lord has us on when we stare at someone else and not at Him. That's why God wants us to mind our business and be faithful to His leading. Our lives and responsibilities may not look the same as others, but God won't accept any excuses when it comes to obedience. 
      We question God as though we understand His ways, but we don't. The sincerity of our faith and commitment to God gets tested when we see Him give someone else what He's told us we can't have. These instances show us what our hearts are truly after. Do you want the easy, carefree, blessing filled life more than you want God? If the answer is yes, then you've lost focus and your heart has become divided. You have to take Jesus' advice and go back to following Him rather than those aspirations. 

Comments

Popular Posts