Day 7 in England: Peace in Purpose

Sunday was our last day of mission work in England. We held a morning service in Accrington Academy for Hope Church where we again did cardboard testimonies. Later in the evening we held a service in a different location. It was there that we said our goodbyes. Last year it was so painful for me to say goodbye but this year was different. Yes, I was a bit sad, but this time I had a peace about it. I wasn't heartbroken because I knew they'd be fine and that this wasn't really goodbye. We'd still be able to keep in touch. Plus, I knew that God would continue to do the work He started (Philippeans 1:6).
      It was Sunday night that I learned what impact my speaking 5 days before had. One of the women I grew close with shared that I had helped her to start seeing that she is loved and valued by God. She said that she felt so free in beginning to believe that. Another woman messaged me telling me that the way I had been so honest and vulnerable in sharing my testimony inspired her to share hers during Saturday night's service. She had been one of the people that shared a cardboard testimony.
      I didn't know what the impact of my speaking had been until my last night of mission work. It would've been so easy to give up or work halfheartedly with the belief that what I was doing didn't matter. I didn't though. I had this strange and wonderful confidence. I knew that I had spoken the message that God put on my heart. I had seen one of the women being affected through her tears during service. I didn't need to know all the details (though I really wanted to) to keep giving it my all and trusting that God was working through my faithfulness. 
      I truly believe that God saved all the affirmation for the last day for a purpose. This was the most confident I had felt in doing ministry because I was totally trusting in Him and doing what He led me to. Plus, He's helped me to trust in the fact that nothing He has us do is without purpose (whether revealed to me or not). 
      In Ephesians 1:11-12 (NIV), the Bible says, "In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory."
      This verse has been read in many ways, but in reading it today I felt that God was reiterating the fact that He has a plan for my life. He had that plan for me in mind when He created me and as soon as I was given breath, it was set in motion. (I don't believe that the existence of that plan means that I have no choice in how my life goes.) He worked everything in my life out so that I would be able to fulfill the purpose He set before me. I don't believe God is in the business of wasting our time or lives. He is intentional because He knows the gravity of our mortality. The choices we make in our temporal lives will affect our eternal ones.
      Don't get discouraged if you've been obedient to His calling. He is working everything out toward His purpose. He will use us to bring Him glory, even if just to plant the seeds for it.

Comments

Popular Posts