Keep Going

“We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Thessalonians 1:3 NIV
Lately, I have been trying to get fit. I started an exercise routine that I have been keeping up with each week this month. At the start, I was quickly reminded of how unfit I was. I grew tired quickly and wanted to stop, but I also wanted my body to be in better condition, so I made a habit of pushing my body when it is tired.
      It was exhausting and uncomfortable, but I had to learn to endure in order to get stronger.
     I don’t think it is any coincidence that this month I have also been preparing spiritually for a youth camp that the youth ministry I volunteer with is doing this weekend. It has been exhausting and there have been many spiritual attacks. At the same time I know that God was stretching and refining me. A lot of times I wanted to give up because of how painful it was. But, I was reminded that I had to practice the same discipline I was using in my exercises: endurance.
     In 1 Thessalonians 1:3, Paul states that our endurance comes from our hope in Jesus. Trials are inevitable. We get attacked and stress out. In order to keep going when we feel like we are going to burn out, we need to maintain our hope in God. That means we need to make sure we stay close to Him.
     We need to be close enough to hear Him leading and encouraging us. Even in the times when we don’t hear Him, we need to constantly seek His word to remember the promises He has made. He never breaks them, so seeing them come to fruition should be enough to keep us going.
     We don’t go through trials in vain. God is growing us so that we will be better equipped to carry out His plan. He is preparing us to reach more people for Him and do more for His kingdom.
     Keep this truth at the forefront of your mind and keep moving in faith. Trust Him and His motives when things get difficult. Don’t give up.
     You are weary and feeling the weight of things because He is equipping you with more. It will be heavy and tiring at first until you learn how to manage these new tools/characteristics He is building up in you.
     You cannot expect to grow stronger without breaking through the threshold of your current endurance. Go a little further than before. Push yourself. Of course it will be uncomfortable but you will feel and be so much stronger afterward.



Comments

Popular Posts