Take Children Seriously

“Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.’” Matthew 19:14 NIV
On our last Sunday in Accrington, me and two of my friends worked with the children’s ministry at the church we had gone to England to help. I had wanted to stay and watch the adult service. I was curious about how they would respond and how many more would come to God. At the same time, I wanted to help where ever there was a need. That was the whole reason I was there. So, I opted for being put to work.
       As soon as I walked into the room filled with kids ranging from kindergarteners to second graders, I grew excited to be with them. I remembered that I love kids and have fun interacting with them. Plus, we hadn’t gotten to really speak to children since we arrived, so I couldn’t wait to hear the stories they would want to tell me.
       We started off by playing a couple of games. Then we told the kids the story of David and Goliath and broke up into small groups. I was so happy when little girls kept coming up to me and asking if they could be in my group. They seemed ready and eager to talk to me.
       In each group, we had the kids go around and talk about their fears. The girls in my group were open about theirs. I heard about the dark and other fears that children normally have, but I also heard more serious ones. 
       One girl told me that she was afraid because her dad had come home beat up one night. Another was afraid because her father had died. Another girl told me that she was afraid because she saw her friend die. All of these stories initially shocked me (they’re not really things you expect to hear when speaking to children). But then they reminded me of something God had been putting on my heart for months now.
       Prior to this missions trip, God had me in a season where I was constantly around kids, so they would tell me a lot of stories. Through these conversations, I realized that children are more than we give them credit for. They experience and feel more than we acknowledge, but we write them off as being kids. We don’t give them the time they need or take them seriously because we believe they are naive.
       In Accrington, God put on my heart that children need Him. They need to be taught about and led to Him just as much as adults do. Jesus knew this. That’s why He told His disciples not to keep them from coming to Him.
       They are experiencing things that they don’t understand. Unlike us, they haven’t grown numb or accustomed to the violence and cruelty that exists. They don’t fully understand the reality of things. They need God to bring them peace. They need hope. Otherwise they will end up depressed, lonely, and searching.
       They will grow up to be just like the teens and adults we see today who don’t know how to cope with the things they feel. They will seek something more in places where they’ll never find it.
       They need to be introduced to God.
       Jesus said that the kingdom of heaven belongs to people like children. I believe that means those who are pure of heart. Kids love fully. They show that they care about people by being affectionate. If they see people in pain or in need, they are often the quickest to selflessly give what they have. They tend not to over-think things because their focus is simply to do what it takes to see people happy.
       Unfortunately, a greater number of children are having this purity tainted at an earlier age. They are being hurt and affected by the cruel actions of others. In order to keep that light, they need the hope, love, peace, and joy that only God can provide.
       Don’t short-change or neglect them. They could be the best disciples He allows you to help raise up. Hearts like theirs will reach the most people and will have the greatest impact for His kingdom.

Comments

Popular Posts